Friday, March 13, 2009

Cağri Büfe: Istanbul Review

Barney Fisher-Turner: Istanbul Food Stylist/Food Writer
www.barneyfisherturner.com

Çağri Büfe
When I am in Istanbul I always miss my mother’s classic British cooking; Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding and my favorite Apple crumble with homemade custard. On the other hand if I am visiting family and friends in London the first things that I start to miss are the grilled cheese and tongue sandwiches and the famous, almost regal Doner Pide from Çağri Büfe in Nişantaşi. Thinking of these extraordinary Turkish sandwich versions always sparks an all encompassing home sickness; all I want to do is offer hollow goodbyes to my rather vexed parents, pack my bags and head for the airport. Cool lemonade, perfect sosis with American salad and a charming little cheese burger might be the very thing when I return to Istanbul. To be honest I hate traveling or breaking my well worn routine; staying in strange beds, washing in even stranger low flow showers and having to experiment with unfamiliar eateries; away from the delightful familiar every experience becomes a lottery. Çağri has become an integral part of my weekly program; the best grilled cheese and freshly squeezed orange juice produced by a team who care about quality provides me with resonating reassurance; every time I step into this supreme büfe I know that the food will be perfect; the ingredients are clearly well sourced which is rare for restaurant of this type; in general the simple things are always done well which to me is very important. Standing with a frosty ayran, half way through my second juicy burger, greedily debating a third; valuable experiences, vivid reminders that I have found my way home!

Valikonağı Cad. No: 109,
Nişantaşi
Istanbul,
Turkey

0090 212 241-7583

No comments:

Post a Comment